Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thoughts Upon Turning Forty

Yes, today was my birthday, and I am now 40 years old. Is this bad? No, not really. I mean, it does have a certain ring to it, implying a certain level of maturity that I'm not sure I possess. Not because I am "immature" but, well, I just don't "feel" 40. Anyway, I had a good day, and I hope that my next 40 years bring as much joy as the first 40 have done!

So, what can I say about my birthday? Well, first of all, my parents bought a wonderful drum carder for me. I found it on eBay, and they gave me the money for it, because it would be difficult to send a drum carder from Canada. I have already tried it out and made a test batt, so I will be using it more in future, although not too much until this semester at school is finished.

My parents also made a wonderful set of 10 photo cards for me, each one with 4 pictures, showing me with animals through the years of my life, right up to today's photos with sheep and such. It was remarkable how many photographs they found of me with various critters, and here's one of my favourites - who knew one day I would have my own sheep?! In this picture, I'm in England with a bottle lamb on a farm near my grandfather's home. I think I was giving it some grain.
I named her Tanya, and her sister was Jemimah. I have no idea why I thought of those names. In any event, the next summer when we went for our visit, those sheep knew their names and came running out of the field to see me at the gate. It was the start of an addiction I didn't know I had!

My friend at work bought me a gift card for Earl May nursery, which is fabulous because I love to shop there and I will easily find any number of ways to spend it! I am thinking about a new decorative container for my front step. Of course, I might change my mind when I get there and see all the wonderful plants.

My friend in Calgary bought me an Amazon gift card and I'm excited about that because I have a lot of books on my "wish list" right now, so I can choose from those and have something new to read, even though I probably won't get to it until the summer.

I went on a birthday walk-in-the-woods today, just to see what was up and about in the woods. I found a male blue-winged teal duck on my pond, and then I found some beautiful trillium flowers (Trillium nivale).
I also found some interesting tree fungi.
I'm fairly glad that, at the age of 40, I have no visible fungus growing on me. Clearly I have not reached that age of antiquity yet.

I looked at my garden coming along and saw spring's promise in the daffodils.
I spent time playing with Calypso and Clipper, and also with Luna.
I watched my little Jacob lambs (they're more timid) and played "bleating" games with them.
I chatted with my feathered friends and hummed at the llamas. I looked at my pregnant Icelandic sheep and wondered about how many lambs I have on the way.
I collected 14 eggs and laughed at the ducks in the wading pool as they did their daily cleaning routines.
I watched my new pair of Muscovy ducks (Valdez and Latté) exploring their new home.
As I did all of those things, I felt like I was exactly where I am supposed to be, and I was filled with the happiness that life has brought my way, and I decided that being 40 is a good thing.

30 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Happy Birthday Claire! Realizing how happy you are at this time in your life is the best present.

Unknown said...

Its your birthday!!! As a mere 41 year old myself, I can honestly say I am just getting into what I want my life to be. Age is a state of mind. It sounds like you are doing just fine......heck we gotta stay young at heart if we are going to do all this animal stuff:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful thing it is to be content on your birthday.

I can't wait for little lamb photos. Your sheep look ready to pop!

Lola Nova said...

Happiest of Birthdays to you my friend! The Daffs are amazing, the Trillium one of my favorites, all your critters adorable and lucky, and you...
You are a unique and gifted woman. We are as young as we wanna be (until the fungus starts growing). It is good to be here in our 40th year - With so much experience behind us and so much promise ahead. I am wishing you a stellar year and only as many lambs as you can handle.

Much love
Alex

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

Oh Claire Happy Birthday....and what a wonderful birthday it was! I was looking at my childhood pictures the other day and amazed how many I had with critters too! Kindred spirits. I even have one of a kitty in a minature baby cradle. I think that was my favorite.

Your daffodils are just gorgeous! I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever see spring here. We may just go straight into summer.

You will love all the wonderful things you can card up with your carder and how much easier your spinning will be with loftier fiber. What a wonderful, thoughtful gift from your parents.

Your lambs eye looks a bit funny. I think you should see about taking him to Dr. McDreamy here in Colorado :-) Just kidding but gosh he sure is eye candy.

Birthday Blessings from the Ridge. Mike wants a Reiki treatment so I'll catch up reading all posts tomorrow. I think all that driving to Denver and sitting in the hospital has taken its toll on an already bad back.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! And yes, knowing you are where you want to be in life is a great thing, and I think it doesn't often happen until late youth ;-)

Ali

IsobelleGoLightly said...

Happy Birthday to Youuuuuuuu! I hope you got to eat a nice apple and some lovely goat grain for your birthday! Goat kisses from Isobelle!

Zenihuddin said...

you have good pictures Ma'am...Nice visiting your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a beautiful day and a great way to turn 40;) Big hugs to ya!

Carolyn Evans-Dean said...

Happy birthday! The best is yet to come...

thecrazysheeplady said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you had a nice day :-)

JK said...

Happy Happy Belated Birthday Claire!

Lovely,lovely photos thanks for sharing your day with us.

Your spotted Jacob's lambs are beautiful and precious!

angie said...

Happy Birthday! I turned 40 two months ago - and I agree, its just fine! It looks like you had an absolutely perfect way to spend the day!

sugarcreekstuff said...

Happy Birthday and welcome to the club!

Miss Effie said...

Happy Birthday!! As someone older than forty -- I must say, you are now finding out who you are. Its a great age to be and to discover who you will be. You have got a great start on it all ready!!!!

And what great gifts!!! The drum carder makes me green!!! You will have a great time with that!

Happy Birthday, again!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Melissa ~ Mom to 6 said...

A fabulous birthday indeed!

Blue Goose Farms said...

What a wonderful day! It sounded very quiet and reflective. The pictures are all so wonderful. Happy Belated Birthday!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday, sounds like it was a really nice one! Loved the pictures, those little lambs are just too sweet.

Nancy K. said...

Happy Birthday! May your whole 40th decade be as pleasant as the first day was...

Being happy with who you are and where you are is about as good as it gets ~ IMNTBHO!

Anne Marie said...

YES! a true fellow farm girl!!

I would absolutely love it if you became a Na-Da Farm Chick!!

come on by and see what I'm talkin' about :)

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! I'll be joining the club in July. Your ducks look like tourists on the beach.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a wonderful day -- and I think that's in no small part to your wonderful attitude! I, too, marvel at the life I have right now, which I never could have imagined as a child. But then again, I've never been one to try to project where I will be in ___ years. And I don't think we ever "feel our age;" I've heard ladies much older than me (47) say when that when they walk by a mirror, they wonder who that old woman is! Ha! Anyway, many happy more to you!

Paula said...

Happy 40th Miss Claire- you're 6 months ahaead of me- I'll be 40 in October! Looks like you had a wonderful day...
Love the drum carder- that is my kind of birthday present!!

Christy said...

Happy birthday! I can't wait to be 40. That is when I'm going to stop caring what everyone thinks LOL. Your ducks are cute, how do you like them? We're thinking about getting a few.

Unknown said...

Boy, Claire, it sounds as though you had a most wonderful birthday all day long! If my Mom were still with us she would say, "You're just a young chick!" In fact, Mom said that about 80- and 90-year olds since she was 98 when she lived with Diane for a few months, then came to live with me. I hope the joy continues as you are living the way you want.

Nancy L

diane said...

my big 40 comes next year..i hope it is half as great as yours was! i LOVE the photo card idea from your parents. so creative and fun.
one question....no picture of luna???

what??

happy birthday [late]!!!!!

Alison said...

Happy Belated, Claire! I'm not far behind you, and it's nice to know things don't just start falling off once you cross that divide. :)

I've been pondering finding old pictures of me & our critters to scan and post. They can be pretty darn fun.

I love your lamby-poos; they are adorable.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Turning 40 is great!
(I'm not so sure about 50...I haven't quite reached that yet, but I'll let you know when I get there in 7 more years. lol!)

Happy Birthday to you!

I'm glad it was a special one for you, too.

~Lisa

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Of course 40 is a good thing. ANy age is a good thing! I'm a bit late, but wishes to you - although like you say here, you have traveled a lovely path to get to a lovely spot in life. Keep enjoying...