Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

A Vulpine Visitor

I have a few minutes to do a quick blog post today, so I thought I'd share this beautiful creature who visited my yard yesterday.  In 2.5 years at this house, it's the first time I've seen a fox in the yard, even though we are surrounded by woods and I would think they are certainly about.  I can't say that one has never visited of course, because I don't spend my entire day scoping the yard, but I can say that I've never seen their footprints in the snow before, which would have been quite obvious.  

This one clearly isn't starving!  What a magnificent coat and tail.

I was a bit concerned to see it all the same, because the chickens would make a fine meal for a fox, but at the moment, the chickens aren't even going into their fenced side-yard because they do not like the snow at all.  The fox can't dig into the coop, and by the time the snow is gone, I'll be able to see if he or she has done any digging around the outer enclosure.

The fox did stop on the top of the brush pile to watch the sheep and goat, but foxes are not liable to take on full size livestock like that.  Here it is watching them.

I had to take the pictures through my home office window, so they're not perfect, but I'm glad I had the chance to see it.  That said, I hope it doesn't decide to keep visiting all that often - this is not a free chicken dinner restaurant! Run along little fox!  Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

porkpal said...

What a beautiful animal! I hope the visit convinced him/her that your property was not an easy source of free eats.

Millie said...

I certainly agree--beautiful and scary. You got some great photos.

Teresa

Michelle said...

What a gorgeous creature; thanks for sharing with us!

Lin said...

Beautiful creature and you took such great photos!! I know...having him nearby is disheartening...but maybe he is just looking for food. He may move on if there are no easy pickings.

Jim said...

Love your foxes, Claire. I hope you are making it okay this winter. Been missing you here on Fridays.
..