Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

More birds returning as spring progresses

I've been enjoying watching the birds for the past couple of weeks as more species return after their long migrations.  This spring in particular, I've had a lot of purple finches at the feeder.  I have had them on occasion in the past, but never quite so many.  Last week I had a day with 8 of them at the feeders at once.  The male purple finches are such cheerfully coloured birds and I do enjoy watching them.  I took a lot of pictures - here are some of the better ones.

Keeping an eye out for danger.

The flock at the feeder. 

Hey lady, are you looking at me?


I've also had more pine siskins this year, including some during the winter.  I love the flash of yellow on their wings.  Here are a group of them at the feeder.

Here's a pine siskin enjoying a sip from the bird bath.

The robins have returned and I do hope that they will build a nest in the area.  I've had a pair build a nest under my eaves for the past 2 years, but I haven't seen any nest building activity yet.  Here's a watchful male robin who could probably see me taking pictures of him through my home office window.

I see you!

The white-throated sparrows are also showing up now - I love their song and their lovely little golden head spots.


I think he saw me too!

I didn't see as many pheasants as usual this past winter, but I did see this female earlier this week.  They are so good at camouflage.

Finally, I have a tailless song sparrow that has been visiting regularly.  No doubt it was nearly caught by a predator - perhaps a cat or a larger bird of prey.  Its lack of tail doesn't seem to hamper it though.  It flies with no trouble at all. 

I think I'll name him "Stubby!"

So lovely to have spring finally appear with a greater variety of birds in my yard!

3 comments:

Millie said...

Beautiful captures. I'm impressed you noticed the female pheasant. Glad stubby is doing well despite the loss of the tail.

Michelle said...

Beautiful photos! DH and I have been doing some bird watching at local refuges, but I can't get good shots at a distance with just my iPhone.

Lin said...

Such pretty birds!! I have a pair of Orioles that have been coming lately. We put out oranges and grape jelly for them. Then a pair of rose-breasted grosbeaks came one day too. So fun to see new birds!

Oh--I have a squirrel that is missing his tail. I'm guessing a predator as well. We refer to him as the "squabbit." He looks so silly without his tail!