Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2019

UV Light for Moths

As many of my regular readers will know, I have a bit of a fondness for moths.  Odd, I suppose, for someone who loves wool, and let me tell you, if there's a clothes moth anywhere in the house, I have no fondness for it!  I think the diversity of moths is amazing though, and I love photographing all their amazing beauty when I have the opportunity.

I recently read that it's possible to attract more moths by using a UV light.  I tend to leave my screened porch light on overnight sometimes (with the screen doors open) to attract moths for photographing.  I decided that I would purchase a UV light to see if I could bring in some different species.  I bought one that is apparently used by DJs for light shows - I'm totally out of touch with that world, but apparently they like to use UV or "black lights" as they are sometimes called.  It's just a 24 inch tube-style light fixture that has a plug.  I put it on the wall of my porch very easily.


I left it on overnight last night. It really doesn't look like much when it's on, but it does have a purplish glow at night.

This morning, I think just about every moth in my entire neighbourhood was in my porch.  It was absolutely amazing.  There were hundreds, and they were everywhere.  I spent a long time out on the porch taking photographs and being completely excited about all the new moths that had come to visit.  I will definitely be using the light on a regular basis, and hope to see more new species being attracted to it.  I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in moth photography.

Here are some of the more interesting species that showed up.

Northern apple sphinx (Sphinx poecila) - this beauty was about 2.5 inches long.

The small but pretty clover hayworm moth (Hypsopygia costalis).

A gray spruce looper moth (Caripeta divisata).

This is a beautiful bent-line gray (Iridopsis larvaria).

Another large moth that visited - the fingered dagger (Acronicta dactylina).

I love this little guy - Harris's three-spot moth (Harrisimemna trisignata).  It's not a common moth around here and has such a pretty pattern.  I was really excited to see it.

I'm not 100% sure on this one but believe it is the bent-winged owlet (Bleptina caradrinalis).  Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

This beauty is the olive angle shades moth (Phlogophora iris).

The red-humped caterpillar moth (Schizura concinna) holds up its wings at an unusual angle.

The tiny but elegant silver-spotted fern moth (Callopistria cordata).

The black-dotted glyph (Maliattha synochitis).  That spot on its back is a distinct olive green colour.

The wavy-lined heterocampa moth (Heterocampa biundata).

Finally, the lovely large lace border moth (Scopula limboundata).  I'm so pleased to have tried a UV light for mothing, and I hope to share more visitors soon!

4 comments:

Lin said...

Well, aren't they beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

I'll leave the mothing to you but I sure do like seeing them through your photography from afar!

porkpal said...

Many of those moths are new to me. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

12Paws said...

So very lovely. Thanks for allowing us to see them.