Well, Tuesday is the big day. Finally, after weeks of unexpected delays, actually months now, the big moving day is Tuesday. I keep trying to be happy about it but there is this big part of me that is incredibly stressed out about all the delays and not having my animals around me and feeling helpless about fixing the problems, which makes me just want to say "It's about _______ time!!!" (insert your favourite word in the blank) instead of "Gee, how lovely."
I am very anxious to get going with things. There is so very much to be done. Not least of these things is the emptying of two 10 x 20 foot storage units that are costing me an arm and a leg each month. One will be emptied on Tuesday, and the second one probably the next week. As long as both are empty by June 13, it won't go into a 3rd month of payments.
The farmhouse, as I believe I have explained before, is going to be left with much of the existing furniture and other belongings in place. This is theoretically helpful in some ways, except that it also presents the following issues:
1. The house is in complete disarray after the owner having been ill for so long and having started a myriad of construction or renovation projects that were never finished.
2. Due to the aforementioned disarray, there is virtually nowhere to set down large stacks of boxes, let alone furniture.
3. Much of the belongings that will be left simply need to be disposed of in one way or another. If I'm lucky, I might be able to sell a few items.
4. The previous owner would definitely qualify as a pack-rat....perhaps even a hoarder.
5. In order to make space, many of these left-behind items will need to be moved and/or sorted.
6. Due to the owner's health problems, the upstairs part of the house is mostly just cluttered with building materials and boxes of things like electrical sockets and switch plates, whereas the downstairs part of the house is far more cluttered with a wider variety of "stuff" than upstairs.
So it's really like 2 moves in 1, because I'm going to be moving much of the stuff that's already there, probably compressing it into several rooms for later sorting, and then bringing my things in.
In addition to this, there are some projects that had been started by the previous owner that have not yet been completed. One of these...perhaps the most critical one...is the stairs to the upstairs level. There are no treads. Just risers. One cannot lift heavy boxes and carry them up stairs that are just risers. So, as soon as we arrive, Richard will be tasked with installing temporary stair treads simply so things can be taken upstairs. I will be trying to make as much room as possible in the upstairs so that things can be taken up there easily. Since it is the less cluttered area, it is the easier place to put things, once one can actually get up there without breaking one's neck.
Another problem. Kitchen - avocado green fridge and countertops at the ideal height for individuals in the "3 foot 2" to perhaps "4 foot 6" range. I am 5 foot 10. Need I say more? Oh, I didn't mention the non functioning dishwasher and stove, did I? Ah....minor details.
Of course, everybody's favourite goat needs to be collected from her temporary farm home as soon as possible, which means that a small amount of fencing needs to be put in initially, and a secure night-time sleeping place must be arranged. This comes right after the fixing of the aforementioned stairs.
To add to the conundrums (conundra?), the internet is in question. The previous owner had dial-up. I will have to probably use that for a time. We are looking into other options but I'm not sure how quickly we can have installation done. This means I'll be shutting down the Etsy shops until I've got reliable internet service. It also means that blog posts won't be immediately forthcoming. Rest assured...there WILL be pictures. Lots of pictures and chaos for your viewing pleasure, as soon as I can get them loaded.
Until next time then, wish me luck, and hope for no broken limbs or other injuries. I could do without that!