Pages

Friday, October 13, 2017

Friday's Hunt v 4.15

Time for Friday's Hunt after a busy week, but I'm managing to actually do it on a Friday.  I missed visiting the other participants last week but will try to visit everybody this week and comment on the posts I missed last week. 

The prompts for this week are:  Starts with O, Purple, and City/Town.

Starts with O
Orange starts with O.  This week, the rabbits have been eating a pumpkin that I bought.  The outside of a pumpkin is a very bright orange, and the inside is also orange, but a lighter shade.  The sheep also like pumpkin, so I really bought the pumpkins for them, but the rabbits ate almost an entire pumpkin before I managed to find the time to chop up the second one for the sheep.

Here's how it started - some innocent nibbles on the outer orange pumpkin skin.  No, the decorative mouse wasn't responsible!

Pretty soon, we had this situation...

...after which there were just a few seeds left.  No more pumpkin needed for those bunnies!

A bonus orange item - here's a jar of the 3-citrus ginger zucchini marmalade I made for my Dad for his birthday.  It came out very well and he gave it the thumbs up on a taste test!

Purple
This one was a bit tricky for me - I don't have a lot of purple things to photograph.  I noticed that I do not have many spools of purple thread on my thread rack (at least not compared to other colours).

I have some fabric in my stash that includes purple tones - I haven't decided what this fabric will be yet, but I love the colours and patterns in it.

Here's a crochet project that is currently on hiatus while I work on some other items, but it has some touches of purple in it.

City/Town
I was born in a large city - Montreal, in the province of Quebec, Canada.  The population of Montreal is almost 1.75 million.  At about age 5, I moved to Scarborough, which used to be its own city, but now it is an administrative district of the city of Toronto, Ontario.  Toronto has about 2.8 million residents.  When I was about 10, we moved to Halifax, in the province of Nova Scotia.  It's a smaller city, at about 415,000 residents in the greater metropolitan area. 

It wasn't until my mid 20's that I moved to a smaller town - Truro, Nova Scotia, in order to attend the Nova Scotia Agricultural College.  Truro is a town of about 12,300 residents.  That was the smallest place I'd ever lived to that point in my life, which I thought I would really dislike, but I found something charming about being able to drive around and see fields full of cows and sheep.  As I've grown older, I have come to truly appreciate living in a more rural setting. 

I now live on the outskirts of a town of about 5,500 residents.  I love visiting a large city to take in the sights, enjoy the cuisine options and partake of the cultural life, but I am very content to live in a rural setting.  I listen to birds, not traffic and sirens.  I breathe clean air, not smog and exhaust from traffic jams.  I can enjoy the freedom to have sheep, goats, and chickens on my property.  I can see more stars on a clear night than most city dwellers ever see.  I hear the unmistakable haunting cry of the loon on the nearby lake, and the hoots of owls as the sun goes down.  I smell the tang of freshly cut hay on the air, or the fragrance of the pine and spruce trees surrounding my home.  I belong in this setting - going back to live in a city would make me feel cramped and stressed.  Here's a view from one of my recent walks around the streets where I live.  I think you can see it's not city life, but it's a great life for me.

6 comments:

Ralph said...

Nice treat for your bunnies - or at least they thought is was :) That marmalade looks delicious and the ingredients unusual to me - but the French have a saying about eating with our eyes - it looks great! In Connecticut, there are no huge cities, but we are only 85 miles from New York City which is huge! Ansonia has 19,000 residents and combines city, suburb and a hint of rural - a manageable size. Have a great week!

Michelle said...

I love your description of country life almost as much as I love country life myself!

Tom said...

..Claire, you sure have been a moving gal.

Jackie McGuinness said...

City girl here through and through.
I was born in Dublin Ireland, grew up in Montreal and have lived in Toronto for the last 5 years.

Jim said...

Nice rundowns, Claire. Thank you. I could hardly believe that rabbits could eat this large pumpkin. Pumpkin is my favorite vegatable. If rhubarb is a vegatable then it is. Rabbits and alligators are protected here. We have a lot of rabbits eating our flowers bur no alligators in our back yard yet.
I like small towns also, fairly close to a larger city. Our Katy, Texas, has an old town and is surrounded by subburbs, our Cinco Ranch is one. 25 minute to downtown Houston but urban all the way in on I-10.
..

Gattina said...

That's a happy bunny ! My son's friend and family moved to Montreal (for his company) and now they like it so much, that they became Canadians after 5 years and only come back to Belgium for holidays !