Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Weekend Roundup: L and M

I didn't do my usual blog last week and I'm pretty late doing it this weekend, too.  Just very busy and I haven't been taking many pictures at all.  I feel like there isn't much of interest to photograph - just more ice, snow, ice, snow, rinse and repeat...

I'll do the prompts for last week and this week together.

Starts with L
My goat is named Lucky Nickel. I've told the story before, but for newer readers, I'll tell it again.  Her mom was having a lot of trouble during the birth and I had to call the vet.  The first baby was too big to come out, and the vet was unable to save it - in fact, it had to be decapitated to remove it from the mother, which was very distressing.  It took a long time, and the vet, Dr. Nicholson, had said that any other babies would likely be dead because of the difficulties.  He then pulled out the second baby - a doe who lay on the straw looking dead, but then suddenly coughed and we realized she was alive.  So, she was lucky to be alive, and also lucky that Dr. Nicholson was there, so she became Lucky Nickel (also a bit of a play on lucky penny).  Lucky Nickel's mom died shortly after the birth, which was really sad, so LN was raised in the house on bottles, and was spoiled to bits, which is probably why she remains a spoiled, bratty goat to this day!  On April 19th, she will be 8 years old.

Starts with M
This is a picture of my chicken, Maple.  She is a cross between a Swedish Flower and an Isbar, both fairly uncommon breeds of chicken.  She's just about reaching laying age. 

Maple is often found with her friend, Star, who is an Isbar-Icelandic cross hen.

And here's Marble, who is a Maran crossbred hen, having some melon for a snack.

Long
I've been trying to get out for some walks lately, since the weather is slightly less frigid and the snow and ice on the road is not as dangerous for walking.  This is a view back down the road having walked up the long hill that is part of my 1-hour walk circuit, and I'm about to head down the other side.  I do this part at the beginning of the walk because it is the harder part and I don't want to do the climb at the end.

You can see there is still a fair amount of snow here, and our house is surrounded by woods (and thus shade) so the snow in our yard is still over a foot deep throughout.  The fields in this picture get full sun all day on sunny days but they have a way to go before they will be clear of snow.  It is always a LONG winter here.

Middle
Back to Lucky Nickel for a moment - you can see that her horns have grown long enough that they now meet in the middle - just at the tips.  This can be troublesome in a young animal if the horns rub against each other too much, but since Lucky Nickel is older, her horns only grow a tiny bit each year, so this won't be a problem for her.

Favourites (2 of them, one for each week)
Our rabbits spend a lot of time in mutual grooming sessions.  Here's Epinette patting Pippin on the head, which she sometimes does during grooming. 

Here's my second favourite photo for this week - our cat, Mitten (bonus M) on the middle shelf of my cookbook shelf unit.  He seems to like this spot!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

LOTS of wonderful photos, Claire! I now have new chicken breeds to look up. The scenery shot is surprising; because your place is so wooded, I thought you lived in more forested country. Thanks for sharing!

Tom said...

...Claire, what wonderful images from 'Noah's Ark.' Lucky Nickel is a beautiful goat. Mitten was lucky that there was space on the shelf. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate having you here.

porkpal said...

The rabbits have the most velvety coats! They must be a treat to pet.

Jim said...

I really like your menagerie. Claire, all of your animals are lucky, lucky to have you for their caretaker. And yes, Lucky Nickel is the luckiest according to her story. I am supposing that your chickens are all sort of rare breeds. At least they aren't the common ones we had in Nebraska way back when. Mitten is sooo pretty. You have a nice setting for your walk, very pretty rural setting.
I'm glad to see you posting too. But work comes first, helps with the 'bacon,' BTW, I haven't seen pigs on your blog. We raised them at home, for two years running I had a litter of pigs for my FFA project.
..

Lin said...

I liked all the beautiful animals (and Lucky Nickel's story) in this post!

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

SO fun to see all of them, and I never knew the story of Lucky Nickel....