Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Garden Update: What's Flowering?

I had a bit of a lull on flowers recently.  Some of the spring flowers died back and now we're in a sort of "in-between" period when flowers are not as plentiful as they were, but some are still going, and fall flowers haven't yet started.

One current standout in the flower department are my various squash, zucchini, and pumpkin plants.  They are putting out a daily show of gorgeous yellow blossoms that are enormous.  Most of them are male flowers, unfortunately, but I'm hoping for some females soon so that fruits will start to develop.

Daylilies are in their glory right now.  Here are some of the blooms today:

I love this cheerful lemon yellow one - not as golden as Stella d'Oro day lily, but just as lovely.

This one is a kind of peachy yellow with a red throat.

A pale yellow with lovely ruffled edges.

This is more of a coral or salmon colour than it appears in the photo.

All the day lilies were here when we moved here, so I didn't plant any and don't know their names.  I think this one is my favourite.  I love the deep burgundy colour and the ruffled petals are stunning.

This is a monkshood, also known as wolf's bane, or Aconitum.  I was surprised to see it this year because it didn't appear last year or the year before, and I didn't plant it!  It's extremely poisonous, but also very beautiful.

 The containers have been suffering a bit in the heat, even though I water them all regularly.  The petunias have been having particular trouble despite being watered.  These calibrachoa have been doing well though.

I found this evening primrose flowering in the garden this year - another surprise that didn't flower last year.

I bought a delphinium earlier this year and it's over now, but the blossoms were glorious while they lasted.  I might get another one next year.

The astilbe are finally flowering as well, and as you can see, there's a rudbeckia (far right) coming along that isn't quite ready to flower yet.  The hostas are all flowering as well.

It's great to be able to take a little wander outside and enjoy the colour in the garden.  I'm trying to do it more often these days, because I didn't do it often enough last year.  If you have a garden, I hope you're enjoying it!

5 comments:

Lin said...

Ooooh, so pretty! Isn't it nice to see all that color?? Remember that when we are knee deep into winter.

My garden is lovely, but the pots are starting to get leggy.

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

You're flowers are beautiful! I am also having the problem with all male blossoms on my squash plants, one plant it's first flower was female but there were no male blooms to fertilize it, then the male blossoms arrived and one more female blossom which I fertilized with a male blossom but it does not look like it worked...lots of male blooms. Can not find any information as to why this is happening.

Michelle said...

Your favorite daylily is a STUNNER! Mine are suffering in our hot, dry summer; I can only water so much and the food plants take priority.

porkpal said...

It must be fun to have unexpected blooms appear from the previous owners' plantings. Like getting surprise presents!

Millie said...

Lots of beautiful flowers!