Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

Friday's Hunt v 3.03

Today is Friday and it's time for Friday's Hunt.  Our topics from Eden Hills this week are Starts with C, Week's Favourite, and Odd Angle.

This has been a very tough week.  I started a new full time contract on Monday, the same day that Marc's work underwent a re-structuring and he lost his job.  It has been a difficult combination of events to deal with, and I haven't taken many pictures as a result.  I'll do my best on this blog post with what I have!

Starts with C
I want to share my display of chickens which is in my slowly-coming-together crafting area in the basement.  I try to work on the organization of the area a little bit each weekend, although that hasn't happened lately because I have been too busy with other things.  I put all my chicken decorations and knick-knacks and ornaments on this shelf a few weeks ago, but I just took some pictures this week for the purpose of this blog post!

Here's an overview of the chicken shelf. As you can see, it's on top of an old bookcase that is being used for storage of yarn and spinning fibre.  The chickens make a colourful and quirky display.

In the picture below, the metallic bird on the left probably isn't a chicken, but it's allowed to stay on the shelf.  There is a yellow felt chicken in a basket which is actually a tree ornament.  I made the blue felt chicken in the nest, as well as the two felt chickens behind it.  The beige ceramic one was purchased, as was the one in the large nest, which came from an auction.  The little peach-coloured one in the front was a toy I have had since I was a child and it is crocheted.  I don't remember where it came from.  The little white one with black spots is ceramic also.

The centre part of the display includes the lovely hand painted rooster which my in-laws brought me from South America.  The various ceramic chickens include several I purchased when I lived in Iowa, and the smaller one in the lower left is a Tremar pottery miniature.  The Tremar pottery business operated in the UK from the 1970s to the 1980s and made a series of animal miniatures, of which I have quite a few.

On the right end of the shelf you can see another honorary bird (blue) who is not a chicken, and a felt chicken I made who is sitting on its back.  There's a salt and pepper set of chickens, and also a wooden egg in an egg cup that my father made on his lathe.  There are two lovely pieces of chicken artwork on the end - a print of a rooster done in pencil, and a sweet card with 4 painted chickens on it, which my mother found for me.

Hanging above the display are these three blown glass chickens from Germany, which I think are rather lovely and are quite delicate.











This blue one is very striking.














The multicoloured one is also quite eye-catching!



Week's Favourite
This week, I did manage to capture a picture of a pheasant being "attacked" by a squirrel under my bird feeder.  The squirrel kept rushing at the pheasant's feet.  It's not a great shot, but their antics sure did give me a few minutes of fascinating watching!  I was amazed that I managed to capture any photograph that was worth sharing, so here it is!

Odd Angle
We have two odd angles in our living room/foyer area.  These two odd angles are the wall above the kitchen entry...

and the wall above the stairwell.

I would like to find some interesting art pieces to display in these two locations that would highlight the interesting angles that result from the roof line.  I haven't found those ideal artworks yet, but I'll be keeping my eye out (or maybe I'll make them myself!)

Bonus shot - here are some odd angles made by Marc's tire tracks in the snow this morning.  The pattern reminds me of leaves.

12 comments:

Ralph said...

I love the chickens? We re partial to bunnies and ducks and have shelves of them in ceramic and even a few of each in Swarovski crystal. There is nothing wrong with a shell of any fowl! Nice angles in your ceiling!

Tom said...

"C"hickens! You have a "C"hicken "C"ollection? Well you don't don't have to feed them, dusting maybe! The pix of the squirrel and pheasant is darn neat. Mark, you are so artistic! Enjoy your week, guys.

Jim said...

You have a nice chicken collection, Claire. I think that I like the hanging ones best although the large sitting chicken is attention getting. It's nice to have a collection hobby where people will occasionally give you a piece on a birthday or for a holiday present. Your angles are real slants. Good idea. It bothers me some to see animals fighting although your sighting didn't seem to be very dangerous to either.
..

Jim said...

Forgot to ask where you lived in Iowa. My sister lives in Center Point, just north of Cedar Rapids. Before the retired they lived in Fontanelle, Southwest maybe 60 miles from Des Moines. She has a daughter and grandchildren who live here in the Houston area. But the son and another granddaughter live near where she moved.
I liked to ski in the bluffs north of Iowa. I wouldn't do that now with a knee joint replacement.
..

Michelle said...

Aw; those tire tracks look like interlocking hearts to me – perfect for you and Marc! Sorry about the job situation. :-(

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Love the last shot, 2 hearts bound togther in one. Love all your different and colourful chickens. I hope you have a great week ahead.

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Love your chicken shelf! Great picture of the pheasant and the squirrel!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Hearts were my first thought too.
Love the blue hanging chicken.

Anonymous said...

Plenty of odd angles here -especially the ceiling! Love your blue chicken. I thought that the tire tracks were hearts! Thanks for coming by!

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Thanks for letting me know about not having a button for comments! Will look into that!

Anonymous said...

He does some artistic driving--perfect leaves! Good find. Love your chicken collection. Great expression on the squirrel's face! Poor pheasant!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the challenging week. Hopefully things improve in that arena. Your chicken collection is quite impressive. I have had two more chickens disappear despite removing the opossum and not seeing any place that indicated a struggle. They have just disappeared. Sigh. That would have been quite the fight to see. I wouldn't think of squirrel vs. pheasant. Great angles. I vote for you creating something lovely to fill those spaces. Thanks so much for joining Friday's Hunt. Have a great week!