Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

Friday's Hunt v 4.04

It's Friday again, and that means it's time for Friday's Hunt hosted by Eden Hills.  I had hoped to write a couple of other blog posts this week, but as usual, busy was the word of the week.  So, without further ado, this week's prompts are:  Starts with D, Favourite, and Photographer's Choice.

Starts with D
My daylilies are finally blooming.  Stella d'oro, the classic golden-yellow daylily that is seen in many gardens, has been blooming for a couple of weeks, but the others have only recently started to open.  Here is a selection of some of my currently blooming daylilies.  I didn't plant any of them - they were part of the established garden when I bought this home, so I don't know any of the cultivar names. 

 


Favourite
One of my favourite things about my home is the woodlands surrounding it.  They are lovely to walk in (when the mosquitoes aren't too horrible) and they attract birds and other wildlife, which is wonderful.  They also have an abundance of wild berries, including wild blueberries and blackberries. The blueberries are just perfect right now.  I have been picking and eating them, but I should really freeze a few.  They are just so good when freshly picked from the plant.  Here is how they grow on the edges of my woodland areas.


Doesn't that make you want a fresh blueberry?


Photographer's Choice
As you can probably guess, when I have the choice, it's usually nature-themed pictures.  Today I photographed this Small Phoenix moth (Ecliptopera silaceata), which is an uncommon one for me.  I think it's beautiful.


I also took a picture of this aspen leaf that has been food for an aspen leaf miner.  The larvae burrow into the leaf and make these serpentine trails as they eat.  It is a pest species, but there are many aspen in this area and a few damaged leaves is not a big deal.  They are just part of the ecosystem.  I think the designs they make on the leaf surface as a result of their feeding are rather fascinating, and have their own beauty even though they are a result of leaf damage.

11 comments:

Janice said...

Stunning daylilies and interesting insects.

Anonymous said...

The blueberries are looking sooo good! This moth is pretty and mysterious looking:) Good to visit with you in your garden:) Have a great weekend.

Michelle said...

Such beautiful daylilies!! That bi-color is unlike anything I've seen before, nor have I seen pretty patterns on aspen leaves from miners.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Yes I agree the design on the leaf is gorgeous and I love lal your Lilies. Lovely shot of the Moth. Have a great weekend.

Tom said...

...Claire, "D"elightful "D"ayLilies! Blueberries are such a treat! The leaf is lovely!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Wow that damaged leaf is gorgeous.

Jim said...

I like your daylily pictures, CLaire. Ours didn't blume this year as we had just transplanted them from our former home. The blueberries are looking good, reminds me of when living in New Hampshire we'd pick the wild ones.
..

Ralph said...

Your day lillies are beautiful, alas the summer season is all too short so we enjoy viewing them as much as possible! The berries are wonderful, a sweet treat ready for eating.The larvae do create such artistic leaf designs!

Suzanne McClendon said...

What an interesting thought - a bug as an artist. I agree, it has made an interesting design on the leaf. I've never seen anything like that. The moth is pretty and I love your flowers. How blessed you are to have that fruit growing in your yard, too!

Have a blessed day. :)

Patti said...

I enjoyed the look around your garden. So many pretty day lilies! I'm surprised the birds haven't found those beautiful berries. How nice to have a wooded area around you. I grew up in a place like that. Here, I have an old oak tree that's begun the dying back process. I hope it has a long time left, though. I've never seen a Phoenix moth, it is a beauty.

Anonymous said...

I hear you about being busy. I can't believe how quickly time flies. Love the lilies! You have a beautiful assortment. The blueberries do look delicious! I am envious. Lovely moth. You amaze me with your knowledge. I have a bug picture I might have to send to you to see if you can identify it. Thanks so much for joining Friday's Hunt. Sorry I'm so late visiting this week.