Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

My human has gone soft in the head...



It's me again.  Lucky Nickel!  But now, I'm not sure how lucky I am.  The hens and I are consulting about a situation that happened today.  I think my human has gone soft in the head.  It could be serious.  Let me tell you what happened that has led to my suspicions.

Today, it was very hot out.  Really sticky hot, like a rotting zucchini in the sun.  But hotter.

The human came outside to give everybody some additional water, because everybody was really thirsty today.  That part was normal.  She went around with the hose like she usually does, and talked to everybody a little bit.  She especially talked to me, and patted me on the head.  I like that.

Some of the water containers are bigger than others.  That means the human has to stand around in the shade waiting for the water to fill up to the top.  I noticed that she was looking a little sticky herself.  Not quite like the rotting zucchini, but sort of red in the face and she was getting a bit drippy on her forehead.  It's not very ladylike you know.  I, being a beautiful small goat, do not get drippy on my forehead.  My white fur enables me to repel all the sun's rays and I stay beautiful and demurely dry at all times.  Not so with my human.

I tried to help her, because I could sense her distress.  It's best, when the human is sticky, to lick the back of her knees.
This makes her giggle.  I think she forgets about her distress then.  She says it's ticklish.

I don't like ticks so I don't know why she thinks it has anything at all to do with ticks.  Anyway, like I said, she might be soft in the head.

So then the human filled the duck pond.  She was standing there, watching the ducks do their thing in the pond.  I don't go into the pond.  It is not befitting a goat of my status.

That's when it happened.  She said "This heat is not fit for man nor beast."  I know that's what she said, I had my ears up.  I looked around.  So did the chickens.

 I tell you, in all sincerity, there was no man there.  And definitely, there was no beast.  Do you think we have a beast?  I haven't seen one.  I'm a bit worried about this because we do have the woods, and there might be a beast in there, but I'm fairly sure it was just that my human was hallucinating.

And then....oh it's so embarrassing...I'm not even sure if I should tell you.  She looked at the duck pond, and looked at the hose in her hand, and looked at the duck pond again....and then...oh dear....she just turned the hose around and sprayed herself with it all over, until she was absolutely dripping wet.  And you know what...she laughed!  She stood there, playing under the hose, and laughing.  I looked carefully again for any sign of a man or a beast, in case she was trying to scare them away by making them think she was a lunatic, but there was nothing.  She stood there and stuck the hose straight into her face and tipped her head back and ran it down her neck and back and then she said "Ahhh....that's better" and walked over and shut off the hose.

That's when I knew.  The heat had cooked her head.  Please send help.  I'm not sure if we'll get fed tomorrow.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky Nickel, you have certainly gotten to be quite big. I bet your human will be back to normal tomorrow as long as it isn't so hot. I'm sure it's just heat craziness!

Teresa

Millie said...

Oh, that does sound scary. I hope you get fed tomorrow.

Jenny Holden said...

lol, this did make me laugh! The heat must be sending your human a little loopy! Here we have no need of hoses or duck ponds, it has rained pretty much every day for the last 5 weeks. It's supposed to be AUGUST!!! Grrrr!

IsobelleGoLightly said...

I like your chicken friend Lucky Nickel! You are such a beautiful goat! I was waiting for the next photograph of your lady to be in the pool with the duck! Tee hee. I can't imagine wanting to get wet all over.....oooooog...... You are going to have to keep a good eye on your lady. Like all humans, she needs a goat to keep her sane.

Claire MW said...

Isobelle - the ducks have a bad habit of pooping in their pool. Even my soft-in-the-head human doesn't want to get in the pond with them when they do that. Yucky!!

Louise said...

Lucky Nickel, you are a very wise goat, and are right to worry about your human. But, I think that she will be ok. And, I am willing to bet that you did get fed today!

Holly said...

I'm with Claire, I know about the ducks pooping in the pool and I wouldn't wade in it either. I'd opt for the hose too. Maybe Lucky Nickel you should join your owner. Our beef and horse occasionally join me in the hose. One does what one has to, to survive the heat of summer.

Christy said...

Oh no! That sounds really bad Lucky Nickel. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm hoping food is coming.

Mom L said...

Don't worry, Lucky Nickel, it's just a temporary madness. A lot of humans do crazy things with water when it's so hot outside! You should get nervous, though, if she starts ripping off all her clothes - do you know that human clothes are different from lambs' wool?

Nancy (lambless) in SW Iowa

Texan said...

No worries Lucky Nickel, this is just what humans do when its so awfully hot outside. I think your okay on getting fed tomorrow. Don't be surprised if you see your human with the water hose again!

sunset pines farm said...

our human stood in the rain last night for almost an hour. She said it was because she hadn't seen rain in weeks and weeks.
Let us know the trick of getting fed when your human has gone a little nuts.
The hungry goats of Sunset Pines

Lauren said...

What a good story! And Lucky Nickel is a very pretty goat.

angela said...

Oh what a great blog. I have just come over via city chicken farm and I will be coming back soon. I hope one day you will be able to meet my goats Im sure you will all be friends.

The Chicken Keepers said...

You are just soo cute, Lucky Nickel!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Lucky Nickel you have grown soooo much ! No worries survival of your human means from time to time she will run throught the hose...my boys do it all the time...we even have a pool with no ducks just for us...can you imagine ???

Sandra said...

Wow, If only I had a lucky Nickel! This is the first opportunity I've taken to visit Claire's "Blog"; what a splendid treat! Claire, in your spare time, do you think you might write a children's book: "Nickle's Adventures on His Farm"; subtitle; "Understanding Humans". I'm certain you can come up with something a wee bit more catchy and clever! This was wonderful and captivating. I could see and feel everthing Nicle was experiencing including your self-indulgent water suicide! I look forward to sharing your "blog" again! You are an amazing woman, Clare! A treat I so enjoy! Thank you! <3