Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

A bright, sunshiny day!

Today was a great day! I just love it when things go right. I started out the day with a felting class. I did a small needle felted flat scene (as opposed to my previous efforts in needle felted sculptures) of a sheep. It was fun to play with a different technique.

Then, I made a felted bead! These are easy and fun - I'll be making more!

The class was held at the Madhaus Gallery in Winterset, Iowa. It was a fun place to spend time, and there are some beautiful items in the gallery. I also learned about wet felting flat pieces and I can't wait to try it out!

Afterwards, I went for a haircut, which is a nice way to feel good about spring coming and enjoy a little bit of being pampered. When I was there, Maggie from Prairieland Herbs dropped by to bring some of her wonderful products that the salon sells for her. What amazing timing! Anybody who lives anywhere near Iowa should go check out Maggie's shop - just walking in the door is a treat with all the lovely scents of lavender, sage, cedar, etc. It's worth a trip! Go on a Sunday - she has free samples on Sunday!!

Then I came home to my piece of heaven and spent some time with the critters of course.
Luna is adorable as always, and growing up quickly.

I love my Dutch bantam chickens. They are so small and delicate, smaller than pigeons really. Mine aren't laying eggs yet, but hopefully they will soon. This is one of my three hens.

Here is Clover the sheep! She's due to have babies in April! See her baby bump?! On the other side is Opal, the Nigerian dwarf goat. She is such a friendly little goat - one of my favorites!

Here is Clover again (right-most sheep) with KitKat (brown sheep) who is also due in April and she is showing a baby bump too! To her left, just coming into the picture, is Oreo, our 3rd ewe due in April or early May.
Valentino, our angora buck, likes to try to lick my nose. I don't know why....

Hoping for another great day tomorrow - stay tuned for a special post tomorrow evening announcing our new herd members!

15 comments:

Alison said...

Hey, nice haircut! The chicken accessory is lovely, too, lol!

Now I want a Nigerian dwarf goat, too. I wonder if I could pass it off as a rare African hoofed dog? (No livestock inside city limits here, thus my fascination with your chickens!!)

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

All the critters are looking great... but I must say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your little hen!! Ooooh, I need one!!

Amy said...

I agree...that's a cute chicken ornament ya got there! Well, ALL your critters are cute! Your sheep have beautiful wool. I enjoyed seeing your creative work today.

Lola Nova said...

Ooh, nice new do. Glad you had a great day. Nice job on the felting, awesome!

Unknown said...

I love your hair! But the little chicken shoulder decoration is my favorite accessory. Wonder if Emma would mind having one here? Your felting fascinates me - maybe one day I'll take up crafts again and give that a try.

I know Diane can't wait to hold Luna!!

Nancy

Yarn Geek said...

You look marvelous dear! Sounds like you'll be having your hands full next month with all the lambs. More sweet baby pictures for us, Yay!

Crosswinds Farm said...

Claire! I am going to Abi's tomorrow too! I will be the one carrying 15 bags of fleece : ). BTW your red chickens in a previous post are R.I.R.s. Do you have any close-ups of the darker chicks?

Miss Effie said...

Claire -- that is great haircut! Sheepie -- didn't the others look like Welsummers??? That was my first thought.

Claire -- wish I didn't have to work or I'd get to meet you at Abi's, too. Boo Hiss for Retail-Hell. It really messes up real-life stuff!!

Don said...

getting your hair done is such a nice stress reliever, and I'm a guy!!

Your animals look like they are loving life. Way to go...

Christy said...

That little chicken is awesome! And our sheep look so friendly. Can't wait to see the lambs.

Christy said...

Oh, a felting class sounds so cool! I need to find one around here.

Totally Timmy said...

Most bantams always seem so flighty. She looks quite happy to be sitting there. How cute.

Anonymous said...

What a great day! I love my little banties. I had one growing up named Henny Penny and she would ride around on my shoulder whenever I was outside. Your felting looks great! What type of background did you use in class? I'm looking forward to seeing your little lambs :)

Paula said...

I love seeing all your babies, Claire!! And "yay" on the livestock trailer- that is awesome! It looks like it's in great shape, too!

Paula said...

Me again- you HAVE to show us how you made the felt ball- I'm getting ready to shear Daisy and Edie soon, and I want to clean and felt their wool!