Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Busy, busy, busy and shoes.

Well, it's been a busy week, and I've been a bit absent from blogging. As some of you know, I'm in school part time, working on my 4th degree, while also working full time and being half of the farm caretaking team! This can lead to a lack of spare time. I don't really recommend it. Also, we found out on Friday that Kelly's job was being eliminated. The company has decided that it is not profitable enough for them to pay a full time person for the Iowa/Nebraska territory. So, as of Monday, he was unemployed. Then, on Tuesday, one of our new Jacob lambs died for no apparent reason. So, all this has made me a little introspective and quiet.

Still, things carry on and one just rolls with the punches or deals with things as best one can. Things generally happen for a reason, or at least we should learn from their happening, and take that learning forward into whatever faces us in the future.

Still, not wanting to be morose and gloomy, I present you with my new shoes!
Aren't they a trip?! They are remarkably comfortable. I purchased them before Kelly lost his job, so I probably wouldn't purchase them right now, since they are not all that cheap, although the comfort almost makes it worth it. They're called "Five Fingers" shoes and they are made by a company called Vibram. You can see them here. Their website says "FiveFingers enhance your sense of touch and feel, while improving foot strength, balance, agility, and range of motion. Because wearing Vibram FiveFingers is so close to going barefoot, you’ll enjoy the health and performance benefits of barefooting without some of the risks."

They come in 4 different styles, each one designed for a different level of use. Mine are the second level of use. The highest level of use is for rock climbing and hiking and such, but still they have the toes.

I have to admit that the first time I put them on, I felt like the biggest klutz on the face of the Earth. I couldn't get my toes to line up properly with each of the toe compartments. I ended up with 2 toes in 2 compartments and empty compartments as a result. I had to do some careful repositioning. It showed me how unnatural my toe positions are from wearing "regular" shoes. The next time I put them on, I was far more competent.

I think I'd agree that they enhance my sense of touch and also probably do increase foot strength and maybe balance over time. It felt funny at first wearing them, but within a few minutes, they felt more "natural" than other sorts of shoes.

I like the soles - they are nice and grippy and feel comfortable without being clunky. The fabric that the shoe is made from is nice and stretchy and easy conforms to the lumps and bumps of my funny feet!

I think they'd be GREAT for gardening, but I don't want to wear this pair in the garden because they'll get all muddy and grubby. I'll get another pair sometime for that!

25 comments:

diane said...

oh no- i'm sorry about your lamb :(

and um- those shoes freak me out a little. WEIRD! but very interesting...

Unknown said...

How weird are those!! I love them! I have glove socks I wear constantly their so fun and comfy. I'm looking into these

Alison said...

Oh noooooo! So sorry to hear about Kelly's job loss and your lamb loss!! Both are tragic. I wish you luck in recovering from them, and admire your ability to carry on. You sure are wearing a lot of hats.

As for the shoes, I think I read an article in Runner's World about a guy who tried those on his long-distance runs. It took some time for him to adapt, but he also appreciated the barefoot feel.

I would have loved to have watched you taking those pictures of your own feet, by the way! LOL!

JLB said...

Those shoes are weird. where did you find out about them?

Sorry to hear about the lamb and Kellys job :( If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Kara said...

I am so sorry to hear all your bad news. I hope things look brighter soon. Those shoes are hysterical.

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

Dear Claire - so sorry to hear about Kelly losing his job but you do know that when one door closes another opens if you don't concentrate on the one that's closed.

Sorry also about the lamb. I know that is so hard. My thoughts will be with you.

Blessings

Michelle said...

Bad. Sad. Weird. I can't stand things between my toes, so don't think I could handle those shoes. But they would sure be a rubber-neck-causer, if not a great conversation-starter in the big city!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Feet freak me out, so those shoes are probably going to give me nightmares tonight.
Uh...thanks for that.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new shoes, though. But I hope they don't become the newest craze like those wacky Crocs. I may never be able to sleep well again.

So sorry about your Jacob's lamb :(

~Lisa

Lola Nova said...

Necessity is the mother of invention. I think it is going to be so interesting to see what we all invent during this...whatever theyre calling it now. Change.
I am more certain with each passing day, with the community I have here at home and the one I am beginning to meet from all over, that there are some very creative and incredibly giving folks and anything can happen. - I think we will find a way to thrive and find joy. If you need anything well, just holler.

Mushy stuff aside, those are some wild shoes! Right On!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry about your lamb - that has to be hard every time. I know you hold them all in your heart.

Those shoes are bizarre! But I like the fact that they feel like you're going barefoot, which is me most of the time. What can I say, I grew up near a Florida beach!

Nancy

Crosswinds Farm said...

So sorry that you lost the little guy. ((hugs))

Uummmmm, I thought you said you weren't silly....those shoes would say otherwise!

BlueGate said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your lamb, you guys have had a rough week. So glad you have those wacky shoes to help cheer you up.
Maybe some GBS, played loudly is in order. My experience is that it works best when its LOUD!

Totally Timmy said...

Sorry about the lamb :( The job loss must be a huge concern. As for the shoes..they freak me out!

Nancy K. said...

Losing a lamb and a job in the same week would be enough to put me out of commission. I am so sorry for your troubles!

But, I gotta say: those are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen! I laughed out loud at the photos! Now, I'm gonna go check them out....

;-)

Wishing you happier days.

angie said...

I've missed your posts this week. Glad to see you are back.

I am sorry to hear about the hardships.

Love the shoes.

How's Luna?

frolicnfibers said...

Claire, so sorry to hear about your lamb and also your husband's job. Wishing you lots of blessings this week. Those shoes are too unusual...I hope they give you a lift!

Dirt Princess said...

Try to remember that Gad only gives up what we can handle. Place your worries in his hands.


I MUST have those shoes!

Anonymous said...

Those shoes are a trip!

I'm very sorry to hear about Kelly's job and your little lamb. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

When it rains, it pours...gosh I wish I could just reach through the computer and give you a hug. I am definitely thinking of you tonight. I hope your weekend puts a big smile on your face:) Now on a lighter note, I am a devoted canvas tennis/barefoot/Birkenstock die-heart kinda woman but those shoes sparked some interest.....I will keep you posted on that one:)

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

I know you do the utmost for your animals, and I'm very sorry you lost one- we know how hard it is. And stressful time for many, even those of us with income [or 50% of income!] so I hope Kelly finds new work soon. Hang in there.

IsobelleGoLightly said...

I'd like some shoes like that for my feetsas! Goat kisses from Isobelle!

Gone2theDawgs said...

Sorry to hear about your Jacob lamb! There has been much sadness in the blogging community it seems lately, with losses of different types.

Those shoes are definitely different! It did make me smile to see you modeling them!!

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry to hear you lost a lamb and about Kelly's job as well. Those shoes are just too cool! I would prefer to go barefoot but I don't like stepping on rocks or other little sharp things that poke my feet. Those shoes sound awesome.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

So sorry to hear about Kelly's job loss and your lamb loss.

I would love to try those shoes.

Blue Goose Farms said...

I too am sorry about your Lamb and the job loss. that just sucks. It will work out though. those shoes look great!