Pages

Friday, August 12, 2016

Friday's Hunt v 2.7

It's Friday again, and that means it's time for Friday's Hunt, hosted by Eden Hills.

This week's topics are:  Starts with G, Week's Favourite, and Wheels.

Starts with G
My parents are visiting me at the moment, so I took the opportunity to visit the Sackville Waterfowl Park, which is really close to me, but which I hadn't visited before.  I am glad we went to visit it because it was absolutely gorgeous there!  I'll probably do another blog post about it soon.  There were quite a few choices for the letter G, based on our visit.  I have chosen two interpretations.

First, here is a gathered gaggle of grooming ducks.  They were all sitting on a little island tussock of grasses and they were busy preening their feathers and making themselves look pretty. These are, I believe, female American wigeons.  They might be fairly young ones.

Second, here is a pied-billed grebe.  I took this picture at quite a distance so it isn't perfect, but I am still quite pleased with it because I could clearly identify this bird even though I couldn't identify it from the shore.  The grebe kept diving completely under the water and emerging in a different spot.  It was very interesting to watch.

Week's Favourite
My favourite picture this week is this one - a black and white warbler.  It is a warbler but it behaves a bit like a woodpecker, shimmying up and down the tree trunks and looking for insects.  Given the black and white colouring, it can fairly easily be mistaken for a woodpecker species.

Wheels
I had numerous choices for this topic too, but I decided to stick with my favourite wheel, which is my spinning wheel.


I actually have two spinning wheels - a Schacht Matchless and a Louet, the latter being a choice when I want to ply large skeins because it has larger bobbins.  The pictures are of the Schacht, and the current fibre I am spinning is a 50% merino, 50% tencel blend.

I'm spinning it fine for a 3-ply yarn.  I have quite a long way to go yet!

That's all for this week!


9 comments:

Tom said...

I also am glad that you chose gorgeous a gathered gaggle of grooming ducks (what about geese)? Cut little favorite. I remember "Spinning Wheel" by Blood Sweat and Tears. I'll see you next Friday "H"ey.

Ralph said...

Love that gaggle of duct - our favorite waterfowl! The spinning wheel is beautiful too!

Jim said...

Hi Claire ~~ Those are all pretty birds, of which I have heard of none of them before. Thank you for labeling them, I will try to remember. But don't test me. I am thinking that your parents liked the trip a whole lot. We have some parks around here but like you, we don't go. It would be good to take relatives when they come. We generally take them on the inspection boat down the Houston Ship Channel.
You are ambitious with those spinning wheels. I think most have them for decorations.
..

brokenteepee said...

I love Grebe birds. I used to enjoy watching them dive for a snack when we lived in NJ. That looks like it's going to be beautiful yarn

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Claire This is a GREAT post which I loved reading today. Marvellous selection o words and photographs for the letter G and I love your spinning wheel and your yarn colours. Have a wonderful week ahead.

Unknown said...

Beautiful birds!

Sherrie said...

HI,
Great shots. Love the Grebe, I've seen a few. They do a lot of bobbing up and down in the water. Love your Wheel shot. Have a great day!

Empty nester at last said...

Hi Claire. Wow I was really amazed at your spinning wheel and the fact that you were making yarn...I think that is so cool...and those colors are amazing! Your ducks and the warbler are so cute. I have warblers here in FL that are brown. They are so cute to watch at the feeder. Thanks for the post. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Love the ducks! We have a lot of grebes that live at the marsh near my farm. They are interesting to watch. I love your wheel! The yarn will be gorgeous! I am so far behind, I haven't even gotten Llenny's roving up on my website yet. Sigh... Thank you so much for joining in Friday's Hunt. Have a great week!