Pages

Friday, August 19, 2016

Friday's Hunt v 2.8

It's Friday, so that means it's time to join in Friday's Hunt, hosted by Eden Hills.  As usual, we have 3 topics for interpretation this week:  the letter H, week's favourite, and single.

The Letter H
I'm a little bit off the beaten track with my choice today, but bear with me.  I blogged a few days ago about my visit to the Campbell Carriage Factory Museum.  When the carriage business began to decline as cars began to be available, the carriage factory added the funeral business to their services. The woodworkers who built carriages were able to build caskets instead, and other workers provided services such as transporting the deceased.  So, for the letter H, I give you, a hearse!

There were two hearses on display at the museum.  The one pictured above was for fine weather use, and the other, pictured below, was for winter use.  As you can see, the winter hearse is a sled style, designed to be used in the snow, whereas the summer one has wheels.

Both would be drawn by horse (of course).  The museum had some helpful information about horse harnesses too!

Week's Favourite
I have to say that my favourite thing this week was the fact that I finally brought my 2 sheep home again after their 2 years and 8 months in "boarding" elsewhere.  I am really excited to have them with me again, and I suspect they'll be regular blog fodder!  However, since I just blogged about them yesterday, here's another favourite - my little chipmunk friend who often amuses me.  I watch him (or her) from my home office window.  I think that at some point, this little cutie had a tail injury, but that doesn't detract from the cuteness!  I've been getting better pictures of the chipmunk now that I have the zoom lens.  I really love both these pictures.



Single
For the letter E, a few weeks ago, I shared a photograph of my Echinops ritro.  At the time, it wasn't yet blooming, but has just started to do so.  So far, only a single one of the ball-shaped flower structures has started to bloom.  You can see it in the background of this shot - it has a purple hazy look to the top of it.  All the other "flower balls" are still waiting to open.


It's just starting out - the tiny blooms open from the top down.

When I was taking the picture, I noticed that somebody was trying to photobomb my shot!  A single tiny spider wanted to be part of the action.  Look closely and you'll see it - a lime green little spider towards the bottom of the photo.

8 comments:

Tom said...

Great Hs and fabulous favorites and I like your single, GREAT job!

porkpal said...

Some more superior photography too!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous H! I can't imagine trying to bury someone in winter. Yikes. Your little friend is adorable! Sadly, my cats thought they would try to get rid of all of them on my farm earlier this summer (judging by the body parts, they may have been successful). Beautiful flower images. I'm glad you are enjoying the new camera and have new lenses as well! Thank you so much for joining Friday's Hunt. Have a great week!

Jim said...

Nice "H" word, Claire. I learned. Mom was buried in a Nebraska blizzard on top of a hill. A lot of people didn't come and some that tried got stuck getting to town. No one came by horse drawn. You have some really nice squirrel and flower pictures too.
..

brokenteepee said...

Wouldn't that be a slearse? hahahaha That looks like a very pretty flower. I can't wait to see it in full bloom.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

The flower, which I can't spell its name, looks like it could be featured in a Dr. Seuss tale, both for its name and look. I wonder what happened to the chipmunk's tail, which looks longer than its body. Hmmm, another Dr. Seuss tale?
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Empty nester at last said...

Beautiful Shots! I love your little spider...amazing how small they can be. We don't have any chipmunks around here or at least I haven't seen any. But we do get turtles...Great post,.

Michelle said...

Great shots all! (Share the sheep as much as you want; I'll enjoy every photo!)