Stuffin is now at 124 days since purchase. She has, therefore, roughly 26 days left in which she could kid. Of course, I expected it to happen last night because it was extremely cold here, but fortunately it didn't happen. Things warm up a bit tomorrow, so I do kind of hope she'll wait until then. It seems they have a habit of kidding on the worst possible night (as I've found from reading others' blogs). I haven't got many plans for February, so pretty much any night should be fine for me!
I hope it isn't a false pregnancy. How would I know if it was false? (other than the fact that she wouldn't have a baby in the next 26 days...)
Her udder is still puffier and more rounded than her sister's udder, which is completely flat. She has never kidded before, so this will be a first time for all of us.
It almost certainly means that any baby she has will be born in February. March 1 would be day 26, but I doubt that will be her day since she was probably already at the animal show that we purchased her from on that day, not hanging out with little boy goats.
I always think February is one of the less appealing months of the year - it's cold, often grey, often dreary, and there isn't much going on in the garden of course. Having a baby goat would make it a memorable February.
Stay tuned...the countdown will continue!
Edited to add clarifications based on Joanna's comment:
Here's what we know:
Stuffin and Puffin were purchased at an "animal swap meet." Ugh. Probably a mistake.
We were told they were sisters and from a petting zoo.
We were told they were both bred.
We were told they were both pregnant for the first time.
All of this we believed....but we do not know it to be true!
They do look the same, and they are very good pals, so the sister thing is believable.
They were not both bred because Puffin has never showed any sign.
Initially, they both had flat udders like Puffin does now. Stuffin "grew" wider over time and now has the puffy udder.
I personally suspect that they were too young to be bred. This is purely a suspicion. I do not know how old they are. I suspect if either of them had kidded before, they would have had a different look to their udder (like our Nubians who have kidded before, but not since they were with us).
We were told both were due "sometime in December" which clearly wasn't true.
So, that's all we know. Since we don't know how old they are, I am reluctant to put them with the buck that we have. I think that will wait until next fall.