Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

I am so embarrassed

Finally, FINALLY....Claire said that I could do a blog post.  The rabbits around here are seriously under-represented on this blog.  I am really in a snit about it.  I mean, how often have YOU seen a rabbit here?  Maybe in the background, small and insignificant.  Pffft.  We are fiber animals!  Just like those smelly sheep!  And we deserve equal rights!  So today, Claire says "Sure Maple, you can do a blog post today."  So why am I embarrassed?  Because....oh geez....this is so awful.....she only said that AFTER she gave me my summer shearing!!  I look like a FREAK!  Nobody is going to take me seriously.  Seriously!  No, I don't even want to be seen...
There are three of us rabbits.  There used to be five, but two of us have moved on to the big carrot patch in the sky.  So there's me, and there's Walnut (he's a male) and then there's Kyndling.  Walnut and I (Maple) are full German Angora rabbits.  We are both sort of peachy beige colour.  Kyndling is a grey angora, and we're not sure if she's full angora or not, because she's kind of small, but she came from the animal shelter which is really cool and we're glad she got to live here.  Walnut lives with her, because Kyndling has had "brain surgery" already.  I get my own cage because I haven't had "brain surgery" yet.  I am not sure why I would need brain surgery.  Claire says it's so we don't make more bunnies.  What does that have to do with brains?  And get this - she's in law school!  Great lawyer she'll be, thinking that more bunnies come out of brains.  Here's Walnut - he got sheared too.  He's trying to protect Kyndling from the embarrassment.
So anyway, Claire uses our fibre for spinning.  She mixes it with sheep's wool and she says it makes really nice yarn.  So in spring, she gives us a nice shearing, so that we will be cooler in the hot Iowa summer.  That's great, except that we do not look our best when we are sheared.  It's totally humiliating to be shown on the blog with my summer cut.
She really doesn't even do a very good job.  I mean, she can't keep all the fur the same length.  She calls it "The Lumpy Bumpy" cut and says all the animals want it.  Yeah, whatever.  Not on this planet, lady!  Look at this, even the baby goat thinks I look strange.
 I see that look in her eye.  She's a loud one you know.  But she smells alright I guess.
Oh yeah, see my tail?  Get this....Claire says "I left you a fly swatter on the end of your tail."  She thinks that's cute!  What the heck is she thinking?!  I'm not a COW!  I don't swat flies with my tail!  I'm so humiliated.

So here's the pile of my fleece that she "rejected" for spinning.  She keeps the best bits in a separate container.  This stuff she said was a little bit "matted" or tangled.  So she puts it on the ground because little birds use it for their nests.  I guess that's a nice thing.  The barn swallows have babies in their nest right now and they use lots of chicken feathers in it.
Do you think if I just kind of roll around in it, then it would stick to me again?
Nah, I didn't think so either.  So, it's been good to blog and all, but kind of embarrassing too, so I'm off to look for other exciting things now.  Stop looking at my tail.  This is such a travesty....

14 comments:

Chai Chai said...

Those haircuts are unique. Lumpy bumpy you say? Who did you say is up for brain surgery?

Gail said...

I think you look fine and the nice thing about fur is, it does grow out.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Oh Dear ! I am so sorry ! My name is Marshmallow and I am a lion head bunny. My owner once trimmed my head and when it grew back I only had a top knot ! Now I look like I have a mohawk - mortifying !!! I try to keep it between my ears so no one can see. The kids like to brush it up so it looks like I'm surprised.What's wrong with these people ?

Millie said...

Oh Maple, it will grow back. You are still a cute bunny.

Sue said...

I kinda like the Lumpy Bumpy look....it's Unique!

Lady Cat Ears said...

Well, Maple, I think you look adorable. And so do the other bunnies living there. :)

IsobelleGoLightly said...

OOh! I think you are adorable bunnies!! Very cute! I've always wanted some lovely angora fur like goats and bunnies have so I guess getting sheared is the price you pay for having such gorgeous fur! Only a little "tee hee hee". I'd give you a nice goat kiss!

Louise said...

Oh, poor Maple. But, just think how nice and cool you will be in the hot days of summer. I'm glad that, in spite of your embarrassment, you had the courage to write the blog today, because I enjoyed it very much.

sunset pines farm said...

Your owner and mine must be related.
She sheared me last year and I hid under the hedges for three weeks straight. She also left me a fluff at the end of my tail to I look like a "circus lion".
She also left me a lion head. To go with my bare butt, you see.
She said she did it because she felt bad for me having to endure the horrid south Georgia heat. I didn't buy it.
She paid for my pain, just so you know.

Condolences,
Socks
The angora cat on Sunset Pines

Christy said...

You poor girl. It will grow back. I've had bad haircuts too, so I know how you feel.

Neville Henry Fotheringham said...

I completley understand! I have a lumpy bumpy haircut, too!

No worries little Maple, we're still cute ;)

Paige Madison said...

Good job, Maple. You're pretty funny. Maybe Claire will let you post again.

Kelly Cook said...

I love bunnies, even with odd haircuts! We only have one so far, but boy has he got personality!

Texan said...

You are just cuteness I tell you!! The hair cut just adds to it! No really a Texan would not lie to you about something like hair!