Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

And so it goes

It's been a long time since my last post, and I do want to assure any readers I might still have left, that I have not been swallowed up by a freak sinkhole or swept away by a raging herd of water buffalo, or befallen any other accidents.  I have, on the other hand, been extraordinarily busy, at the same time as going through some time of introspection and thought, during which the blogging muse seems to have taken a hiatus.

Through the dark times of the past few months, I have been tremendously touched and honoured by the many friends who have sent support and love in various ways.  I cannot thank those people enough - and will return to this in later posts.  For now, I will just provide a brief update.

In short, I was able to get a job in early April, which has of course helped me be able to pay my bills and begin to feel less panic over my financial situation.  It's not a good job.  It's incredibly boring and does not use any of my skills or training, not to mention that it's about 1/5 of my former salary.  A high school student could do it with ease.  In that sense, it's frustrating and rather depressing, but it's at least a job.  The area where I live is very rural and jobs are hard to find, so there are few to no options for people with strong science and patent law background.

I also started a small entrepreneurial business venture in technical writing, editing, proofreading, and the like.  It's something that does actually use some of my skills, and I would rather be doing it full-time, but it is slow to build.  Also, any writing work I do has to be done on the weekends, or in the evenings, when I am not at my other job.  That means I can't take on too much, otherwise I won't be able to dedicate sufficient time and effort to it.  I hope that in the not too distant future, I will be able to focus exclusively on this business venture, or at least find something else that is more suitable for my skills and experience.

The combination of the day job and the writing has meant that I've had very little time for fibre arts, which is not ideal for me, since that is a source of stress relief and enjoyment for me.  I try to enjoy it in small doses when I can.

The animals are well, with the exception of a few chicken losses.  I still don't have a fence, and it's a major priority for me.  As you can see from the picture above, little Fezzik has come a long way over the winter and is really filling out and looking healthy.  I am so pleased about that.  I'm also starting to look at upgrading the heating system on the house so I don't have to sit around in multiple sweaters, scarves and mittens (indoors) next winter.  Fortunately I only had one incident of pipes freezing, but that was enough.

And finally, Richard has been coming round to help out with the farm from time to time.  Without getting into the details, we are considering whether it might be possible to repair the damages and put things back together, but this will take much time and thought.  For now, baby steps for me as I go forward.

13 comments:

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

I just recently found your blog. I am glad that things may be looking up a little for you. I hope you get the time for your fibre arts. For me it is so therapuetic(probably misspelled...too lazy to look it up...or too tired). Glad that you are getting some help from Richard. The least he can do now...lol! Sorry bad sense of humor here. Take care and blessings, Karen

Alison said...

Thank you, Claire...I've been thinking and wondering about you lately. I frequently wear the t-shirt from our farmers' market exchange, and always remember the fun and generosity behind it.

I do hope you can build your business up enough to get away from the slog of 8-5 or whatever your hours may be. At least now you can still enjoy the sunlight of these long summer days. Interesting news about Richard; glad that he's coming 'round to help, but also glad you're taking time to consider...

Bisous (to you and Lucky Nickel..ok, and Fezzik, too)!

brokenteepee said...

Baby steps for sure. Fezzik looks wonderful

Millie said...

So glad to hear from you! It's nice to know the water buffalo missed your farm. We all hope things continue to look up. Of course, with summer sunshine it has to be better.

sarahmacht said...

Be sure to check out Claire's Etsy shop - Scotia Spinner. Gorgeous yarn and I don't even knit. I couldn't resist all the colours. Nice jewelry too and I do like to wear shiney things.
We are Lucky Nickel's goat-grandparents but we would be happy to have Fez as an honorary goat relative.

Cloverleaf Art and Fibre said...

It's so good to hear from you Claire, thanks. I know how hard it can be to compare the daily reality with where you thought you were going. Don't let it eat you up. You are doing a great job of putting together the pieces, and joy will find a way.

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

So good to hear from you, have been thinking of you and wondering how you are making out. Love the picture of little Fezzik, he is so cute!!

Marigold said...

Little Fezzik looks like a little toy. He is so sweet. Don't let any Alpines near him. I'm just sayin'... As for the rest of it, you know something will come along. You are a great survivor and you will find your way (as you already have been and are). One day at a time is a very good thing. We've discovered this ourselves. You go, girl! Bright things ahead!!!!

Lin said...

I've been checking in often and was VERY excited to see an update from you. Sounds like you have your head together and are making some good decisions. I know the job stinks, but hey, it's a job for now, right? You do what you gotta do.

I hope this means a turnaround for you. In a good sorta way. :)

angela said...

I'm glad your back! I hope your small business picks up and you can quit the other job you don't like. Be gentle with yourself and your right baby steps are the best.

Chai Chai said...

I hope the baby steps lead to walking and finally, hopefully, dancing. Everyone deserves to be happy!

Unknown said...

Much love to you & critters, Claire. I am glad that you are okay. We all miss you when you don't post.

We babysat a neighbor's chickens last week & I thought of you! Unfortunately - it is Very Very hot here, & the abundance of mosquitoes did not make chicken care very pleasant. But, the eggs are delicious!

Mare said...

Hi Claire, so good to hear from you again...There always seems to be plenty of detours in the road to where we think we are going. Try to enjoy the ride on the way. Baby steps sound good to me!