Pages

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Friday's Hunt v 4.17

Unfortunately, I missed Friday's Hunt last week.  I was away at the Knit East conference, which is a bi-annual knitting event that takes place in the lovely town of St. Andrews-by-the-Sea in western New Brunswick.  I didn't take a computer with me because I wanted to dedicate my time to my knitting workshops and enjoying the break.  By the time I got home, it was after the deadline for joining.  But, I'm back in the swing this week.

The prompts from Eden Hills are: Starts with Q, Orange, and Animal.

Starts with Q
The town where the knitting conference took place is very small, but it has a number of quaint homes in it.  This is one of my favourites.

It looks like a sort of fairytale cottage - I love the curve on the edge of the roof and I adore the little turret out the front.  The fence detail along the side of the house is also rather quaint.

Orange
The fall colours are nearly finished here, but there was still some lovely fall foliage last weekend, including red, yellow and of course, orange leaves.  This was the view as I walked down to the main street to look around.

There is a cute little gift shop on the town's main street, which is called The Whale Store.  It had an orange chair sitting out the front, and as you can see, it has a lovely art piece mounted on the front of the store just behind that orange chair.

Lots of orange on the fish on this delightful piece of art!

Animal
The whale probably qualifies as an animal, seeing as it is a mammal, but I would also like to share this interesting metal sculpture of a horse that was in the grounds of the hotel where the knitting conference took place.  It has a leather tail and mane.

As you can see, there is an inscription on the base that reads "Equi dentes inspicere donati," which has been attributed to Ovid.  Ovid's quote in full seems to be "Noli equi dentes inspicere donati," which means "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."  However, this variation doesn't have the "Noli" so it means "Look a gift horse in the mouth." which is appropriate since the horse is meant to be looked at and admired.

I was very lucky to have such superb weather for my weekend away, and I think the horse was enjoying the sun almost as much as I was!  I was able to sit outside on the hotel deck and knit, which is extremely unusual for October here.  Two years ago at this conference, it was terribly cold, damp and not at all a good time to be outside.  I was delighted at the unseasonably warm weather this year.

3 comments:

Tom said...

...yep, you were missed, this week's sights make up for things.

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Beautiful!!

Ralph said...

I love the quaint house - it seems to evoke England, Scotland or Ireland to this American's eyes! The Whale store is a great seaside retailer, and its architecture is 19th century style. The horse is a wonderful work of art! In CT, we've been cheated in the foliage department this year, and the rainy and windy Nor'easter we are having today means the few leaves wth color will blow off the trees tonight - maybe next year!