Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Weekend Roundup: K

The prompts for this weekend from Tom the Backroads Traveller are: Starts with K, Kids, and Favourite.

Starts with K
Knitting starts with K.  I bet some of you could guess that's what I would choose for K.  I haven't had as much time for knitting lately as I would like, but I try to keep on going with at least one or two projects.  I always try to have a "mindless" knitting project that I can knit while Marc is driving us somewhere, or while I am having a conversation.  That kind of project has to be simple and repetitive so I don't have to think about it too much.  My current mindless project is the Verdant Shrug by Gina Bonomo - her picture of the final item is shown below in green.  It's a free pattern, too!
Image result for verdant shrug
Image copyright:  Gina Bonomo

It is essentially long sleeves connected with a knitted section across the back.  It's for times when you don't need a whole sweater, but maybe you have short sleeves and you need a little extra warmth.  Or you can wear it over a sleeveless item for an extra bit of cover.  Here's mine so far. It will just be continued flat knitting for the full length until the other cuff.  Then I will seam up the arms about 15 inches or so.  

I am knitting it in "Gale" colourway of classic yarn from Fleece and Harmony in PEI.  I do love using locally grown and milled yarn!  The mix of light blue-grey and pink is like the sky after a storm.  

Kids
We have lots of fur, fleece, and feathered kids.  To be precise, we have 2 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 1 rat, 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 sheep, 1 goat, and 22 chickens.  Here are most of them, except for the chickens, of whom I have shown 3 examples!

Favourite
Here is a favourite little friend whom I often see outside my home office window.  I took this through the window last week during a snowstorm.

7 comments:

ellen b. said...

Fun shots of those furry kids and a very cute favorite shot, too. I'm always impressed with anyone who can knit. Very nice.

Michelle said...

I didn't know you had so MANY chickens – or a dog! Since you never mention the dog, should I assume it is Marc's?

Tom said...

...knitting, I tried it once and knew that I was not up to the task. What a great grouping of kids! The squirrel is a favorite for me too. Thanks Claire for stopping by, enjoy your week and please stop back again.

porkpal said...

I really like the yarn you chose for your Knitting project. Animal pictures are always a favorite here.

Jim said...

Claire, your pets are adorable!! The rabbit pair get my 1st place vote. I wish you had more time for knitting, but, ... The squirrel wants to come in for warming. It could visit us, we don't have squirrels. Some say we might as the small oak trees are starting to have acorns. We have a lot of rabbits.
I also wish your winter would end soon, we are forecast to be 87F today, cooler tomorrow into the 70's. Southeast Texas Gulf Coast area.
Oh yes, I posted late last night and Mrs. Linky shut down early so I missed. My "K" stuff is here, http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2018/03/weekend-roundup-11-18-for-letter-k.html
I might post that link next week.
..

vesselsmemories said...

I love all the shots of the fury friends/animals! I admire those than can knit...I learned when I was a teenager, but never kept it up. I do enjoy crocheting, I think it's much faster. I'm in the middle of a baby blanket right now. Have a good week!
Dawn

Ralph said...

As a non-knitter, I am amazed that an intricate knitted product can be made without much thought - and be so comfortable too! Beautiful children in every species...and cute too :) We have many an endearing squirrel visitor in our yard too