Pages

Monday, June 11, 2018

Garden Update: Apple Tree

Last year we bought a 4-in-1 apple tree from a local nursery.  It was quite small but healthy looking and it wintered well.  I must give it some fertilizer soon.  A 4-in-1 apple tree is four different apple varieties that have been grafted onto a single trunk.  When we bought it, they said that it would not bear fruit for 3-4 years, but one has to start somewhere!

I was excited to see that 3 of the 4 different limbs have flowers this spring.  I don't know if any of them will end up bearing fruit or not, but the blossoms smell lovely and they are so pretty.  I love how the blossoms have a delicate touch of pink on them.

The four varieties on the tree are:



All are flowering except for the Chehalis.  It would be so exciting if we actually had a few apples form on it this year.  I will keep hoping!

The 4-in-1 apple is planted next to a crab apple tree that is currently absolutely glorious.  It is just covered in deep pink blossoms.  I am so happy every time I look at it!

The bees love it as well. 

 Some blossoms have yet to open.


But most of the buds are fully opened.  The scent is heavenly and the colour is so vivid and rich.  It is no wonder that winter makes me so gloomy when spring delivers such a riot of colour that brings such happiness! Maybe I need to find more indoor flowering plants for next winter.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful, happy photos!

Lin said...

Well, that is very exciting! How weird that you can have 4 different varieties in one tree. I wish you lots and lots of good apples!!

I always want the flowering trees to last all summer. They are so pretty and smell so sweet...