Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Spring? Erm....not yet.

I know that many places are experiencing "spring" amidst all the crazy stuff in the world at the moment.  Not here.  Yes, we've had a bit of melting, but overall, spring is still a bit of a distant dream for me.  There are some icicles on the roof edge, which does indicate some melting.

The front door view is still pretty dismal. 

Here's my path to the chicken coop.  It's so compacted now that my feet don't break through the snow anymore, but it's over my knees in height.  That yard waste bucket off to the right is 2 feet tall and the snow is just above its top.

The raised beds have a LONG way to go before planting.

The closer chicken feed bin is 4 feet tall and the rear one is 3 feet tall.  That shows you how much snow we still have. I'm really glad I had that modification made to the coop gate to give me the winter "upper door" that I am now using because the lower part is blocked solid.

The chickens are coming outside from time to time to enjoy the sunshine on a sunny day, and the egg count is going up.  Here are Maple, Amelia Henheart, and Marble (L to R) catching some rays.

Most of the birds are just staying inside the coop still, like beautiful Smidgen here.

The path to the hay shed...still pretty deep, except the area I shovelled for the hay delivery a couple of weeks ago.

This path is pretty compacted as well.


These two have been complete rascals lately. 

With all the freeze/thaw cycles and compacted snow, they figured out that they could climb OVER the fence in one area last week by pushing it down with their feet.  Spot the rascal who thinks she is hiding.


 BUSTED!  A bucket of grain was needed to bring them back into the fenced area.


Yours truly did a bit of fancy fence weaving with baling twine to keep the fence held up so they would stop climbing it and crushing it to the ground.

It'll be a really long time before I'm back out on the hammock.

And the driveway?  It's a skating rink.


Just pure ice.  I don't recommend walking on it.

So no, overall, I'd say spring hasn't sprung here.  But I remain hopeful that it's on the way.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Good to see a post from the frozen north!

Millie said...

Oh my goodness, that does look like a wintery mess yet. I suppose I could offer you some real spring for 2nd spring break kidding opportunities. ;-)

Teresa

porkpal said...

I don't know how you north folk manage - too cold for me! However, I enjoy your pictures from the warmth of my muggy, humid climate.

Lin said...

Oh MY! I can't believe how deep that snow is!! Okay...I am NOT complaining here. Well...maybe just a little, but you certainly have a LOT more snow and ice than we do.

LOVE the two rascals! Hahaha! They made me giggle.

Simon b said...

Lovely Claire. I can imagine breathing the crisp air and the cool temperatures. I've just been sat on the step outside our front door in sun too bright to view a computer screen, and yes, the warmth was lovely.