Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Garden Shed

Because my builder and his helper have been off their regular construction work due to Covid-19, I've been able to benefit from their down time because they've been available to get my own projects done.  In addition, they're getting paid because I'm providing some work.  It's a win-win!  Thus, on Thursday, following up on the greenhouse earlier this week, they began to build my garden tool shed. 

The tool shed will store all my smaller garden tools and needs, but it also has a potting bench inside. The bench was originally in the building Marc uses for his bike projects.  It is made from treated lumber, so I just hung onto it, knowing it would be useful, and now it is.


I asked my builder to create a hole in the end of the top bench.  This way, when I do some potting up, I can sweep all the potting soil off the bench through the hole.  I'll position a tote or trug under the hole, and collect all the sweepings, which will then go to the compost pile, or be otherwise re-used.  It's an easy way to clean up.  You can also just see that at the back of the bench, there is a space that will allow me to store my handled tools - the handles will go down into the space and the tools will all be visible.

The door handle is a piece of maple from the limbs that fell from my maple in last year's Hurricane Dorian.  I think it looks quite interesting, and it is very functional.  The door is an antique door that my builder found for me.

The octagonal window is also being re-used.  I'm not sure how old it is, but it's at least vintage.  I love the shape and I think it lends a personal touch to the shed.

The roof is recycled steel from an old barn.  On Friday, the front of the shed was covered with cedar shingles that had been left here by the previous homeowner.  Another use of existing materials that works very well for this project.

In addition, they re-installed my laundry line after its demise last fall in the hurricane. 

AND, they put up a much sturdier, new goat gate.  Miss Lucky Nickel was becoming quite adept at figuring out new ways to thwart the old wire gate, and it was warped beyond recognition and repeatedly fixed with baling twine.

Now, she has something new to bash her head on!  She's not impressed.  I can tell.

I am really glad to have all this new activity to improve the yard and its usability.  Having this new shed right next to the greenhouse is ideal.  I can easily pop into the shed to grab a tool that I need in the greenhouse.  Perfect!  I can also easily do transplanting and store any fertilizer or other plant products in the shed, ready for use in the greenhouse.  More raised beds will also be coming to the area in front of the buildings.

Marc also helped today by installing three new outdoor lights. They were on special at Costco so it was a good time to upgrade, and these are much nicer than the old ones.   

The future looks bright!

2 comments:

Lin said...

WOW! The new building looks great! And you got all those outside projects done before summer really hits. The shed will be so nice to have.

porkpal said...

The octagonal window on the otherwise rather humble shed is a very nice touch!