Pages

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Friday's Hunt v 3.14

It's Friday's Hunt on a Sunday.  This is because I have been at the Maritime Fibre Arts Retreat all weekend and have not had a chance to write a blog post.  Today's post will be a little shorter because I'm a bit time crunched - just returned late this afternoon and there's this post and Pippin's post to do, not to mention getting ready for a regular work day tomorrow.

So, this week our prompts from Eden Hills are:  Starts with N, Week's Favourite, and Blue.

Starts with N
I'm a bit stuck for N-words, but this picture I took of the ocean at the retreat hotel makes me think of the word "nautical" because it has the floating buoys and the breakwater wall, and the little bit of pier off to the left.  Bonus points on this one for the blue sky and the blue reflected on the water!

The event took place at the Atlantica Hotel at Oak Island.  Some of you may have heard of Oak Island because of its long-standing stories of being a potential location of buried treasure, and more recently there has apparently been a television series made about it.  I wasn't aware of that program, but I heard about it this past weekend from other participants.

Week's Favourite
My favourite picture this week is this little song sparrow (Melospiza melodia) that I snapped on a walk around the grounds at the hotel where the retreat took place.  It was singing a wonderful little song of spring and it made my heart happy to see and hear it, knowing that spring really is coming soon.

In other signs of spring this past week, I have finally seen some American robins, and also the first dark-eyed junco since late last fall.  I also saw these beautiful croci in someone's front yard, also near the retreat hotel - so that's a bonus favourite picture for the week!

Blue
Things can get a little silly at the fibre arts retreat.  Last night, when I was trying to decide what to spin next, I put a batt of blue fibre on my head, and pondered what I might look like if I dyed my hair blue.  My friend and retreat roommate Tammy took this picture of me with blue "hair" which I think works quite well for this week's prompt!  By the way....yes...pajama wearing in the evenings is entirely encouraged!

Bonus blue shot - this common loon (Gavia immer) with the sky reflected in the water makes a lovely blue composition.  You can see that it is in the plumage transition from non-breeding season to its breeding plumage.  The black and white patterning on the back will become more distinct and the head will lose the brownish tones.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

Lucky woman; I've never been to a fiber retreat! Great photos for your prompts this week.

Lin said...

LOVE all the spring photos. It's so nice to see the flowers and the birds return.

Hope you had fun at the retreat!

porkpal said...

I find the sheep pjs to be totally appropriate.

Anonymous said...

It must have been a wonderful weekend! Love the blue hair look for you, and I'm all for comfy evening attire. The water image is wonderful. Thanks so much for joining Friday's Hunt. Hope your week is going well!

Anonymous said...

That retreat sounds heavenly! I do love those Song Sparrows! I love when a photo appears in perfect time for a post--The blue hair is perfect! What a pretty setting for the retreat.